Today we’re going Behind the Boss Mask with food journalist, environmental steward, frequent visiting scholar, Emmy-award-winner, + author of Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Food We Love, Simran Sethi.
Joining us from Denver, Colorado on the final day of her book tour, Simran shares her beautifully open experience in the early days of her traditional careers in journalism + academia to her unique, joy-filled, curiosity-driven life she’s building now.
Simran + I chat about everything from our past connection as Yoga teachers + eco-journalists in San Francisco to being an introvert, self-care, how your earnings reflect the freedom you want, the audacious goal to help other people, + so much more!
This episode is perfect for anyone who wants to live life on their own terms; is fueled by a desire to help other people through their passion + curiosity; struggles to find balance between work + life as an introvert; and has a great joy for eating delicious food (especially chocolate).
- As a long-time journalist, Simran tries to tell stories that empower people to make better decisions.
- Storytelling shows up in many forms, and not in one particular role. YOU are a storyteller too!
- Simran has simple goals for her life: eating well, traveling, and living comfortably in freedom.
- She chooses her appearances and opportunities based on the amount of fulfillment they bring, and not their financial reward.
- Through her work history, Simran has been able to move from one role to another as the need changes. Can you be that flexible?
- Simran’s professional team is small but mighty!
- Her newest book accomplishes the audacious goal of helping people make sense of agriculture, our food system, biodiversity, and waste.
- Simran knows she was MEANT to write this book + make a difference in the world. How are you called to make a difference?
- With her rigorous travel schedule, Simran frequently overextends herself and has to “pull back.” Being attuned to her personal needs helps her help others.
- Simran dives into how her work is affected by being an extreme introvert.
- Want to know what to do next? Ask, “What is my purpose? What are my loves? What do I care about?”
- Simran cultivates mindfulness and awareness and enjoys “feasting on life.” How do YOU feast on life?
- Simran’s mission is that what we eat is a reflection of who we are and what we want the world to be.
The ONE question that Simran presents: What is it you wish to do with your one wild and precious life? … Comment below with your answer!
Resources For You:
- Simran Sethi’s website
- Simran on Instagram
- Bread, Wine, Chocolate: The Slow Loss of Foods We Love by Simran Sethi
- Natural Heros: A School in the Woods (Simran’s Emmy-award-winning documentary)
- Simran’s TEDx talk (from Cibeles, Spain)
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
- Leave an honest rating + review on iTunes or Stitcher 🙂
- JOIN THE VIP LIST for the latest episodes, exclusive bonus content, + in-person meet-ups! (see form below)
Possible Guests + Sponsors:
- Want to be on the show? Click Here
- Know someone who would be great for the show? Click Here
- Interested in sponsoring the show? Click Here
Photo credit: Cem Ersavci for Dumbo Feather
Are You a VIP?
Join the VIP list for the latest updates on new episodes, opportunities to submit YOUR questions to be answered, unique bonus content not shared anywhere else, AND in-person meet-ups